Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Overheating...

I was on my way to Yuma, AZ yesterday to pick up my wonderful kids but about 14 miles outside of El Centro, CA my car started overheating. I remembered how my dad would turn on the heater whenever we'd overheat while driving to Las Vegas, NV back in the day when I was just a little girl...so...that is what I did. I also pulled over to let my car cool off and read my car manual to see what I should do when having this problem. My car did cool down and I started off again only to have it quickly heat back up within only minutes. Feeling frustrated, I pulled my car back over to the side, and called AAA for a tow into town. It sure was hot and I could feel the sweat dripping down my neck so decided to get out of my car. I figured that since I had to wait about 15-30 minutes for the tow truck I might as well make good of a bad situation and work on my tan. LOL!

I leaned against my car to kind of relax but it was way too hot to the touch. In fact it was so hot outside that within 5 minutes or less my I could feel the heat on my legs as if they were burning. OUCH! Fortunately for me a good samaritan stopped (truck driver) and gave me an ice cold sweet tea and offered to let me stay in his air conditioned truck while waiting for the tow. The AAA guy got there quicker than I thought he would and we went to Pep Boys but was told it would be THREE hours before they could even take a look at my car and then they couldn't guarantee it'd be worked on and finished that same day. The AAA tow man made a call and took me to another spot in town, they got me in right away, but then told me it'd cost about $600 to repair and a 4-6 hr wait. I wanted to cry! I told him I didn't have $600 and asked if he could give a distressed, single mother discount to me and he said he'd see what he could do. He then took us to the Mall so that we wouldn't have to wait in thier little office. At the Mall the kids and I decided to watch a movie to kill time and saw Wall-E. It was really cute!

We got a call from the repairman soon after the movie was over with the news that my car was ready and he was throwing in a oil change as well. Back at the repair shop he told me that the final bill was going to be $379!!! I was soooooo relieved and felt that I was watched over by my gaurdian angel today and that everything was going to be okay.

We made it home safely and we are all happy campers now!

1 comment:

Carlson Family said...

you forgot to mention that your guardian angel has a name of LYDIA who was the one who told you to call AAA! lol. I'm glad you are safe- someone is watching out for you. I LOVE YOU